There are various downloads, videos and other training resources on the members-only page of the Rinzai Zen Community site. Once enrolled as a Daiyuzenji member you'll be given access to this. Please see below for additional resources:
I. SOURCES FOR TRAINING CLOTHING
Our standard practice uniform of keikogi, hakama and obi is the same as that worn by practitioners of traditional Japanese arts like Kendo, Aikido or Kyudo. It is suitable for meditation, internal training and all other activities at Daiyuzenji. Acceptable colors: indigo or white for the keikogi top, indigo or black for the hakama.
Daiyuzenji has obi available for sale to members: please inquire. For keikogi and hakama the following suppliers are dependable and offer reasonably priced options. Please let us know if you need help choosing the correct clothing:
- The Kiyota Company (no web site, but highly recommended for quality and fast shipping. Call Mr. Kiyota at 1-800-783-2232)
II. READING SUGGESTIONS
Recommended Texts for All Students:
- An Introduction to Zen Training, by Omori Sogen: available for sale to members at Daiyuzenji.
- Okyo (chanting) book: available for sale to members at Daiyuzenji.
Texts for Students Engaged in Koan Training with a Teacher
- Two Zen Classics: The Gateless Gate and The Blue Cliff Records, by Katsuki
- Discourse on the Inexhaustible Lamp, by Torei Enji
- Entangling Vines: Zen Koans of the Shumon Kattoshu, by Thomas Yuho Kirchner
- Zen Sand: The Book of Capping Phrases for Koan Practice, by Victor Sogen Hori
Texts about Zen and Related "Ways"
- Zen and the Art of Calligraphy: The Essense of Sho, by Omori Sogen and
- "Zen and Budo", by Omori Sogen
- Fudochi Shimmyo Roku, by Takuan Soho, translated by Tenshin Tanouye.
- Zen and the Ways, by Trevor Legget
III. OTHER MEDIA
- Land of the Disappearing Buddha, a 1977 BBC documentary on YouTube featuring and interview with Omori Sogen Roshi. He is also shown demonstrating the Hojo kata.
IV. DAIYUZENJI POLICIES
The following policies have been adopted by the Daiyuzenji board of directors for the protection of our community: